|Rolf H Carlsson: Ownership and Value Creation|
Omistajuudella on merkitystä - case Wallenbergit
- Hyvän toimitusjohtajan löytäminen ja pitäminen yhtiössä oli kaiken A ja O. Ensin kapteeni, sitten laiva.
- Kova tulospaine.
- Jatkuva seuranta ja dialogi. Jatkuvasti puhelimessa.
- Tiesi tarkkaan yksityiskohdat.
- Halusi pitää itsensä informoituna. Rajaton informaationkeruu ulkopuolisista lähteistä sekä myös yrityksen sisältä ohi toimitusjohtajan. Kuitenkin pidättäytyi aina muodollisissa rakenteissa asioiden hoitamisissa ja vastuissa.
- Vaikeina aikoina erittäin antelias tukemaan johtoa, kunhan johto ei salannut mitään ja uskalsi kysyä apua.
- "The buck stops here" tarkoitti rajanvetoa vallankäytössä.
- Marcus Wallenberg oli yli 30 yhtiön hallituksen puheenjohtaja. Oli asioita, jotka hän halusi päättää itse ja piti ne selvästi päätösvallassaan.
- Patrioottisuus Ruotsin etujen puolustamisessa. Hänelle ruotsalainen omistajuus ja sen kehittyminen oli sydänasia.
- Yrittäjyys perusarvona.
- Vahva usko konsolidaatioon.
- Financial prudence eli turhien taloudellisten riskien karttaminen ja tarkka taloudenhoito.
- We need passion for ownership since true ownership itself has a strong element of passion.
- Ownership makes difference. Ownership has an indispendable role to play in creating sustainable value in companies, for overall prosperity.
- Ownership function fulfills an indispensable role in the market economy. Its quality makes all the difference for sustainable value-creation.
- Ownership will be a key aspect in this new millennium.
- Competence, adequate owner competence will be required to perform a value-creating ownership role.
- The role of ownership function is to link the sources of risk capital in stock markets to the fundamental processes in corporations and individual businesses so as to achieve sustainable value-creation.
- Owners - provided they are active, competent, and well positioned - have a crucial role to play in the processes of creating value, for business prosperity. (3)
- Wallenberg sphere is kept together not by a mostly formal owner majority but a variety of means - pyramid constructions, differentiated voting rights as well as by tradition and competence. (128).
- Percy Barnevik kirjoitti muistion "Owner role under change - Development of active ownership; 19980115", joka loi Investorin suuntaviivat aktiiviselle omistajuudelle (164-168).
- The prerequisites about a well-functioning competition also include the market for ownership. Owners act on a market where they compete by allocating their funds differently, by means of different ways to organise ideas and resources, and by how they excercise ownership. (177)
- There is probably general agreement on one fundamental aspect of ownership. It has to do with supply of risk capital. Owners provide risk capital, equity, to make the start and expansion of a company possible. The special quality of equity is not only its function of financing or being part of the financing of a business operation - however necessary and important. The particular quality of equity capital is its function of absorbing uncertainty. (178)
- Ownership is more than risking one's own capital. (178)
- Ownership requires competence. Certainly, it takes competence and careful analysis to select an investment opportunity. However, the real competence test is the capability to reduce and eliminate fundamental risks. Thus, it should be wise to consider the following imperative: Invest in businesses where you have the competence to take responsibility for the reduction/elimination of fundamental risks, or to be aware that you need to acquire that competence. (179)
- The value creation rationale of the owner level is to reduce and eliminate risks. (188)
- As concerns coping with fundamental risks, there are basically two strategic options to choose: spreading the risks or reduction/elimination of such risks. (189)
- Ownership makes a difference! (200)
- Meta-management becomes an important part of the role of ownership and of ownership competence. (202)
- Ownership cannot function in the long run without personal involvement. There will always be a role for personal ownership. (205)
- In Marx's view an owner does not do any work, does not contribute in any way to the creation of the added value. Capital income is unearned income, even for an active owner. (211)
- The uniquely successful ownership is based on total integration of mastery in direct value creation and the capability for institutional positioning! (214)
- Ownership - the individual owner, be it a physical person or a legal entity of some kind as well as the ownership function as a whole - has a key role to play in the process of sustainable value creation. Playing such a critical role requires adequate competence. (216)
- The new economy will also generate huge opportunities as well as pressure for restructuring of companies of the old economy. This massive renewal wave will Place the ownership function and competence at centre stage as well. Maybe this part of the economy is underestimated as regards its potential for new growth as well as its needs for competent ownership since, so far, all the light has been on the new companies. (219)
- How to professionalise ownership and improve the ownership function, we will apply four different perspectives: 1) Value creation perspective, 2) Industry development perspective, 3) Organisational perspective and 4) Governance perspective. (219)
- Nothing can replace private ownership, and involvement at the personal level - with risk capital, of course -but, even more important, with ideas, visions, strong values, and commitment to succeed in building a business. (230)